Saturday, October 04, 2008

Shower of Roses


When I spread the "Guardian Angel" feast day cheer, people asked me why I wasn't celebrating St. Therese's feast day (October 1). I was. More quietly. I came across this beautiful rose novena story, though, that I wanted to share. I've shared just a fraction of the Noble Family novena stories here.





I was ten years old when I first witnessed the power of St. Therese's novena, in the form of a literal shower of the roses she had promised. Named after the Little Flower myself, I could see my mother grasping for something that would heal the wound inside her when my father left. She went to prayer group once a week, said a rosary every morning, and hung an image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in our kitchen.

But I especially remember her novena prayer to St. Therese... Around the time my dad left, I knew my mom was particularly desperate and in need of a sign from heaven that she could raise her four daughters by herself, despite her hurt. On the fifth day of her novena, our neighbor Mr. Miller, who kept an impeccable garden, was pruning his rose bushes. As he trimmed off the fully blossomed flowers to make room for the tender buds, he noticed my twin sister playing soccer in the backyard.

"Give these to your mom," he said. There must have been eight dozen roses of all different shades. With the skill of an artist, my sister went back and forth, from his garden to our kitchen, arranging all the roses until she ran out of vases and counter space.

Later, my mom came into the kitchen exhausted from a long day's work to find what looked and smelled like a rose garden on our kitchen counter. Remembering it was the fifth day of her novena, she cried tears of hope.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I still haven't written about my favorite Saint.........I didn't forget and that was a beutiful story....remember the rose you got for me the day of Ann's wedding......you were praying for a husband for......who would have thought it took as long as it did.......maybe on my anniversary I'll post my "rose story".