Monday, June 29, 2009

More on Honduras

I got home too late for the network news so I watched the Directv channel where you can see all the cable news channels at once - hoping to switch to whatever one was showing Latinos in camouflage. I waited, and waited, and waited. This was the one hour 6:00 news and ALL the stations had non-stop Michael Jackson for at least 20 minutes. Finally Fox moved on, and eventually MSNBC did, but CNN kept with it for so long I stopped tracking!! Good Lord!

I talked to Liz today and she had only heard the bit of news they are getting on the radio. But she was sure that someone had "gotten to" the media because they were reporting what surely HAD to be a lie - that countries throughout the world were condemning the coup! I hated to tell her - that it wasn't a lie. She was SO disappointed and had a hard time understanding why no one could see that if the military hadn't done what they did, Zelaya would have rigged the constitutional vote so that he could stay in power.

After reading a lot about the situation I've tentatively formed my opinion. I think they are an amazing, and courageous people who ignored warnings from the US State Dept and did what they thought needed to be done to protect their country's rule of law. When we hear the military was behind the coup we think of a non-populist violent force. But it was non-violent. And the military is in a unique position in Honduras because they deliver ballots in an election. AND the Congress and Supreme Court both supported the move!

Today the new President said something along the lines of "Please leave us alone and let us do what we have to do until November when we will democratically elect a president."

I just saw good news - Hilary Clinton declared that the U.S. will not label what occurred a "coup" since that would result in cutting off millions in aid to Honduras.

In my mind Obama got it all turned around. He should have come out loud and clear immediately in support of the protesters in Iran and thoughtful and restrained on any condemnation of Honduras. Hmmm...

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I agree with you on Obama! So Elizabeth will be save and do they have electricity back?

Jane said...

Yes, their electricity was only out for a short time.

Lisa said...

I heard a caller from Honduras on a radio show and he said they are very upset with Obama.

Jim Shea said...

I think that I am going to find it more and more difficult to agree with Obama and his administration on world and my own views of this country.

OMG, the Cap and Trade Bill!

Jim