Sunday, June 28, 2009

Honduran Coup

I've spent the last hour searching for analysis of the Honduran situation but have not been able to find much. When I talked to Liz today the electricity was off throughout the country and before that the television stations were out of commission.

The people Liz has talked to have been very concerned about the election that was supposed to take place this week. The president was attempting to change the constitution to allow him to run for a second, currently unconstitutional, term.

Unfortunately, the method chosen to prevent Pres. Zelaya from taking a page from Iran's history and rigging the vote, was a military coup. Now they have a newly appointed (by Congress) president that many of the people of Honduras may be recognizing, but an ousted president in exile in Costa Rica that the rest of the world recognizes (Cuba, Venezuela, U.S. - all on the same page on this).

A few minutes ago it was reported that Chavez is threatening to invade Honduras.

SO - the situation is much more unstable than I had thought, after talking with Liz, but she is only able to get information from short telephone calls she's been getting from the Peace Corps. I continue to be impressed with the quick response from the Peace Corps when it comes to safety. If things don't improve I'm sure they'll be sending all volunteers home.

Videos like this one are hard to watch. Fortunately, she is far away from Tegucigalpa, where most of the action is taking place.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I'm glad you have heard from her. I was worried as soon as I saw there had been a military coup. Please keep posting updates as you hear! Tell her I am thinking of her!

-Laura

Lisa said...

Dear Jane, We will be praying for her keep us posted. Lisa

Jane said...

Thanks guys. I'll keep posting.