Saturday, March 08, 2008

What should the Pope say?


Halleluia! The question I've been waiting for was asked by a Catholic publication - America. What should the Pope say when he visits America? Here is the answer I submitted:

I would find it difficult to accept if the Pope did not speak DIRECTLY about the sex abuse crisis. As a faithful Catholic I need to hear him say, on behalf of the Church,

"To those Catholics who have been devastated by the sins of those who claimed to represent Christ, an apology from me as your Shepherd is required by justice and charity, but seems to be wholly inadequate. Nothing I say will remove the grievous harm that was caused to those of you who trusted in your priests and whose innocence was ravaged. I pray, though, that my profound mourning and heart felt sorrow on behalf of Mother Church, by the grace of God will settle upon each of you as a soothing balm for your grieving souls."

2 comments:

mesc said...

EXACTLY what needs to be said. I think you should send it to him directly. Sit down and write him a letter - this is straight from your heart and perfectly worded.

T said...

Amen.