Tuesday, December 11, 2007

From the Ice Castle



OK, let's see if this works. I have never successfully uploaded a pic before to the blog. I wish I had a pic of our house, but this will have to do since it's the only one I could find on the web.

We're in the middle of an ice storm, been without power for 2 days. I called Mary Ellen this morning and said, "Help me I'm being held captive by the Ice Princess in her castle!" I'm at work now - got here at 5:30 - where there's heat! And light!

Chris and I were thinking a lot last night about the New Orleans residents. We pulled into our neighborhood where it was getting dark and looked so desolate with trees bent in half, falling into the street, etc. It was depressing to think of going into a dark, cold house. (We had FINALLY found some fire wood - a man and his kids selling it by the side of the road. It's so ironic because there's firewood all around us but with 250,000 looking for chain saws they're a little hard to come by.) We have only experienced this for 2 days, with a lot less devastation. What must it have been like for NOL? And now?

A tip for any who would like one: run, don't walk, to your nearest Home Depot and buy a crank up radio/flashlight combo. What a relief to be able to use it without worrying about having to try to find batteries or a plug to recharge it, etc. We had one in our emergency box, along with all the other stuff that's been stored there since September 12, 2001!

1 comment:

T said...

Oh Mom, a whole week!!! I hope you are staying warm by the fire and drinking hot cocoa.