Monday, February 28, 2011

Mom

I have an almost tangible sense of solidity at my core – a sense of well-being and a knowledge that I’m loved. It’s been there all my life and I know it came from my mother.

She wasn’t a bake-you-cookies, give-me-hugs, what-can-I-do-for-you kind of mom (at least by the time I came around as the surprise! fifth of five, born when she was 40). She was a practical, I’m-always-here-for-you, let-me-at-anyone-who-hurts-you, you’re-more-than-OK kind of mom.

Despite losing my father to cancer at age 8, I know that life is good and I have that core – that unmistakable, irreplaceable core that only a parent’s unconditional love can give. Even though she struggled after his death and dealt with a lot of anxiety, her stability and commitment to us was So. Much. Greater.

I mourn for those poor children and former-children that do not have that core. They must search all their lives to find it. I had the blessing of being able to search for God instead. Today is Mom’s birthday – it is the 96th anniversary of her birth. Thank you, Mom. You were the best!

5 comments:

Pursued by Truth said...

beautiful moomer.

Ella Bakes said...

hhhooooow beautiful :)

Ella Bakes said...

this is sarah by the way lol this is an oooold blog name

mesc said...

I so love you - ME

Lisa said...

You were so blessed and I got to meet her:)