Monday, September 07, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

I've had a delightful weekend. First of all, I decided that it must only be Americans who take time off to celebrate Labor and then feel guilty if they don't do major house projects all weekend. So, I decided just to relax and not feel pressured, structured, or scheduled.

On Saturday Chris and I drove Mary to Joplin MO to meet a friend (who then drove her to Kansas City to see fellow students before she takes off for a Junior Year Abroad). Chris and I had talked about taking a drive this weekend anyway, so we decided to take the doogies with us, stay at a dog-friendly hotel, and then visit the Precious Moments Chapel.

Good News first - the chapel was really beautiful. We've driven past it now for 17 years as we traveled to Michigan, but never stopped. I pre-judged it and decided it would be expensive and tacky. Well, it was neither. As a matter of fact it was free, and a beautiful, tasteful monument to God, built by a very loving and generous man (Sam Butcher, the man who designed the Prec Mom children).
On the way home we stopped at Grand Lake, looked around a bit, ate lunch, and decided to buy a camper (not yet, but soon doggone it!).
Today we went to see Julie and Julia. I usually only smile ear-to-ear non-stop when I watch really good Disney movies or pretty much every Pixar movie. But this one had me smiling like a kid in a candy store. Meryl Streep was a joy to watch and the marriages depicted were precious.
And now I'm relaxing for yet another evening because I took tomorrow off too!! (Oh, btw, the bad news was the dogs - they were a pain! They couldn't figure out how much of the hotel they needed to protect and thus were antsy and whining until the lights were out and we went to sleep - for THAT I probably should be grateful!).

No comments: