Saturday, September 19, 2009

Because of Luis and Maria

I came across a wonderful blog the other day called Why I Am Catholic . Each post has a headline like "Because of Dorothy Day" or "Because of My Friend Ferde". Well, Chris and I just came home from our first Supper Club that we joined at church and I decided to enter a Why I Am Catholic blog.

Everyone who was interested signed up for Supper Club, then we were placed with 3 other couples (or a mix with singles). One of the couples in our group, Luis and Maria, is in their 70's (Luis will be 80 in Nov) and were born in Peru. What a delightful time we had with everyone! But we especially enjoyed Luis and Maria. At one point we asked Luis how he met Maria. He told a story about his "Maria Christina" and when he described the moment he met her, his eyes lit up and he looked upward and said, "It was as if an angel - truly an angel! - had come down from heaven!" And the whole time he told the story, Maria's cheeks were red and she had a beautiful, loving smile on her face. On the way home I said, "If I had a blog like Why I Am Catholic I would say Because of Luis and Maria."

So here it is - a tribute to a couple who has been married close to 60 years, energetic enough to join a Supper Club, proud of each of their five sons, and truly still in love after all these years.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

that was beautiful...i hope I am in love like that when I am 70 with wrinkles grey hair and a booty the size of texas from all the cookies i am going to eat...bbwwaaahahahahahahaha