Saturday, November 08, 2008

A Message to Our President

I don't know why I keep writing emails to people with my thoughts on things. Somehow it makes me feel better, even though I know they won't be read. In this case it helped me to sort out my strong and conflicting emotions about the election. SOOOO, here's what I posted on www.barackobama.com:

I was a strong McCain supporter. I've been drawn to your passion for social issues. But as a mother I cannot deny the urgency of the pro-life issues. I cried Tuesday night, first from sorrow and later from joy as I watched African Americans celebrating in the street.

We know now that abortion is not a good thing. Surveys indicate the innate revulsion by young people, demographics show the skewing of God-given balances, and devastated women cause us to wonder how removing a blob of cells can cause 30 years of pain.

More is required than working to reduce the number of abortions. Our legal and cultural foundations were radically changed when we ranked the right to privacy over the right to life.

What will you do to ensure future government actions are based upon today's reality of abortion rather than the fantasy that was created by radicals 35 years ago? With an enormous amount of political power in your hands, what will you do to ensure that your decisions reflect unvarnished, unadulterated facts? Are you willing to, for instance, look at data or pictures? Are you willing to be the one to answer Malia or Sasha when they ask, "What is abortion, daddy?" Are you willing to select Supreme Court justices without litmus tests?

As Archbishop Chaput said in explaining what we should consider in making decisions related to this critical topic, "And what would a proportionate reason look like? It would be a reason we could, with an honest heart, expect the unborn victims of abortion to accept when we meet them and need to explain our actions as we someday will."

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That is so good Jane. Evil flourishes if good men and women do or say nothing. I went to a confernece today and she speaker was Dr.Marcellion D'Ambrosio........wonderful.solid,
funny, enlightening!...I'm going to blog on him....He studied on Cardinal Avery Dulles and get this Fr. Francis Martin was one of the reader for his discertaion!
He made it very clear from Catholic teaching that Abortion is the primary moral issue. He believes as so does Fr.Robert Sicrico that any politician that promotes legislature such as Peolois, Biden, and my own Governor should be denid the Eucharist because they are out of communion with what the church teaches on the sancity of life........it's a holocost.just because we don't see it we can pretend it's not the most Social justice issue out there.....Jane you are doing something about it....you are so inspiring I am proud that you are my friend and you have created amazing children!
You go girl friend!