Sunday, October 07, 2007

Joy and Justice

Today was a joy-filled day. I don't know why, it was pretty hum-drum, but joy was in my heart.

Msgr gave an amazing homily today about our purpose in life - to know, love and serve God. After the Gospel was read, about the master who, rather than feeding the hungry servant who had just returned from the field, expected him to wait on those at the table, I turned to Chris and said, "I think this makes 3 difficult Gospels in a row!" (I had noticed a woman in front of me who seemed to be Muslim and I was hoping for a sermon about God's infinite love.)

Well, Monsignor didn't flinch. He drove right to the point, and it seemed that everyone there, including many children, were hanging on his every word. (We are so blessed.) And it was very timely for me because I had been thinking about this very thing lately. I seem way too casual about putting God off. He is love, goodness, mercy, wisdom... but he is also justice, awesome and fear-inspiring.

Like Sarah said, "it's not about me". And then she stopped. Because to put it into words doesn't at all do it justice.

No comments: